Monday, July 20, 2009

Hospital visit



So our house has been full of sickness lately, everyone got their turn at the stomach flu, other than me. Caralynn got it BAD, she was so sick and went two days without eating or drinking. Every time she would drink it would come right back up. Friday morning she looked horrible, she was pale and around her eyes were black. I went to work and Adam stayed with her, he was sick too. I got a call and Adam said her tongue was completely white and her lips were purple and cracking. I left and took her to the hospital. Her blood sugar had dropped to 41,REALLY REALLY LOW, and she was severely dehydrated. She had to be put on an IV for 6 hours and they were not going to let her go until her blood sugar went up. She hardly cried when she got the IV, she was so brave! I cried more than she did. I begged the doctors to let us go home, I did not want to have to stay in the hospital over night. We said a prayer together and they checked her blood sugar and it was up to 131. YAY, we got to go home! It was scary I didn't realize how quickly children can become severely ill and die with dehydration. The doctor said from the point that she was at when she came in children have been dead within 24-48 hours, FREAKY!


1 comment:

Gwen said...

That's so scary. I'm glad she's okay. She's a good girl.